Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Review: Physician's Formula Organic Wear Tinted Moisturizer

This is a lightweight tinted moisturizer that I got at my local CVS. It's currently retailing for $11.99 which is a bargain when you compare it to the stuff available at Whole Foods or Sephora. It doesn't include any parabens or other nasties that I can see, and I liked that the sunscreen component (SPF15) comes from titanium dioxide rather than a chemical sunscreen.

It has a pleasant smell, and goes on easily. I've got to say, though, that I don't find it all that moisturizing, nor do I find it offers very much coverage. I'd like one that is a bit more emollient, but that may be due to my skin starting to dry out as I age! It is perhaps, a tad thinner in consistency than I'd ideally like. As for coverage, it is, of course, a tinted moisturizer and not a foundation, so it's not supposed to completely cover all those imperfections. At best all I get is a bit of softening of the edges of blotches and things - perhaps you could describe it as putting the imperfections in soft focus. It is enough to allow me to leave the house on a Saturday morning without anything else and without feeling too self-conscious, but it's not enough for work. I usually wear a mineral foundation on top.

In all, I'm going to go with 4 stars on this one. I think it's definitely enough to make me want to buy another tube and keep it in the general rotation. I still can't quite believe that I am getting organic goodness for only $11.99. However, it probably won't stop me trying something else when the next latest and greatest thing comes out.

Update: I have spotted this at Walmart for $9.93 and Target for $9.94 - a big variation from the CVS price I quoted. It seems to be readily available at most of the drug and big box retailers, so shop around.

Update #2: I've had some reports of people developing an uncomfortable burning reaction to this. I am still using it daily with no problems, but please post comments if you have had an issue.

No comments: