Thursday, August 27, 2009

Review:Tom's of Maine Long Lasting Care Deodorant

I previously reviewed the Tom's of Maine deodorants here. What I didn't quite appreciate at the time was that I was using the "original care" formula, and not the "long-lasting care" formula. And while I was quite faithful to the calendula scent I will own up that by the end of the day, I was often a bit...ripe. Skanky, as it were.

Well, I am pleased to say that I am skank no more! I went shopping a good while back (yes, I know it's been a long time since I did a review), in desperate need of some new deodorant, and the store only had the long-lasting varieties. I was, as I say, desperate, and while I'd normally prefer to smell like a flower than a fruit, I picked up the apricot scent, scowling slightly. But, um, it worked. It worked remarkably well, in fact, that often by the end of a long day in the heat and humidity, I am still quite fresh and delightful to be around. Not that I'd want you to stick your nose right in my armpit, you understand, but I no longer need to keep my arms glued to my sides in the vain hope that no noxious odors will waft out. But I didn't think too much of it, I admit, raised as I was on the not-so-green aluminum-containing anti-perspirants. You come to expect a certain level of competence out of your deodorant. So it was only when I finished that deodorant stick and went back to the calendula, that I realized my terrible mistake. All of a sudden I was stinky again, and not just at 10pm, but often at 10am and all points inbetween.

The "long-lasting" formula really IS that much better than the regular formula. Therefore, consider this as a revised review. Choose the "long-lasting" variety and your nose will be happier. And the apricot scent is growing on me too. It's quite a creamy apricot so it doesn't scream "fresh and fruity" or anything.

4.8 stars. I knocked it down from 5 stars because I'd love a floral scent that isn't lavender to be available. My sweat and lavender don't make for a good combination, sadly.

5 comments:

Jase T said...

I just purchased the Tom's Long-Lasting Apricot, but I'm scared to try it after reading these reviews:

http://tropicalfruition.com/blog/2006/10/03/toms-of-maine-deodorant-burns-my-armpits/

Have you noticed any problems yet?

Solitaire said...

No, I haven't had any problems at all with it. I guess some people must just react to the ingredients and others don't.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
五王 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jase T said...

I wasn't brave enough to try it so I returned it and picked up Thai Crystal Deodorant Spray and it is AWESOME! It's just water and mineral salts and works so well! There's no scent to it....or to my underarms at the end of the day.

I highly recommend it!